Friday, March 03, 2017

anticipation


Even as March has plunged us back into what I've come to expect from winter in Georgia, I'm excited for the dye season to begin. I can't even put my finger on why and don't plan to try.  I had to reach back to '12 and '13 for these pictures. I'm scraping the bottom of the cloth barrels!

The cloth has come first. thrift shop finds and gifts from another artist who is downsizing. I'm still on the lookout for vintage, damaged and otherwise orphaned cloth. The stranger the better. Cotton, linen, rayon or silk.

I'm craving clear, strong colors and have been bouncing back and forth between Dharma and ProChem, window shopping, working very hard at NOT selecting my traditional base palette. I don't know why I bother buying the "pure" colors because I never use them that way. My dyestock always has at least two mother tones.

I already have soy wax I'm coveting those complex, layered colors banging up on sharp edges against snow whites islands. And textures from the usual bizarre sources. Buggy cereals, oatmeal, rice...you name it. My pantry needs a purge badly.

Back to window shopping for the dyes.

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Have you done any ice dyeing? If not, you really should give it a try, especially since you like the pre-mixed colors, as I do. I'm getting some really fabulous color separation with ice dyeing!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

i remember what it felt like to me when you said you had no
Urge. This is so good to see/read.

Looking forward to the thrift shops in California....there's a few.

jude said...

Yay