Sunday, January 29, 2017

Just when I thought I might be in....

...they push me out.

 I just gave a close read to the rules for Fantastic Fibers and, sure enough, I'd deluded myself that there was no "age" rule about the work submitted. It's not a new thing and I can't even think of how to challenge rules that devalue and dismiss the entire body of an artist's work. What other medium does that?

"All work submitted must be original, completed in the last three years"


My heart kinda sank because I haven't done any major work since I finished these in late 2013, give or take a few months. I guess looking for shows that don't focus on the freshness of the work is fool's errand. Fuck 'em.
Karma V

vigil cloth
-

2 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

i don't know what the point of that might be....
how strange.

Morna said...

My collectors would be very happy to get their hands on some of my early work and I feel the same way about some of the artists whom I have collected. If you make beautiful things, and you do, then they have lasting value. Otherwise, what would be the point of art museums?

On the other hand, it’s not a show of your work ... it’s a collection of many and I can see where the curators might want to be showing here is what these artists are doing now.

The downside of my second paragraph, above, is then I miss out on saying fuck 'em. :-)